Our Absolute Favorite Alaska Salmon and Halibut Recipes
The Best Alaska Salmon and Halibut Recipes
Alaska is known for its fresh salmon and halibut, and we’re sharing our favorite salmon and halibut recipes that will have you enjoying your catch. Eat up!
No healthy diet is complete without fish.
Unless you’re allergic to fish, you should try to eat 2 or 3 servings of fish each week. Aside from being easy to digest, fish such as salmon, mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, and Alaska halibut are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to lower blood pressure, strengthen the immune system, and have positive effects on the nervous system and the cardiovascular system.
Easy Salmon and Halibut Recipes
Super Simple Salmon Cakes
Did we say super simple? It’s a piece of cake. Get it?
Okay, enough with the corny jokes.
For this recipe you will need:
- Leftover salmon (equivalent to 1 can)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 cups saltine cracker crumbs (finely crushed)
- Lemon pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix together salmon, egg, olive oil, and 2/3 cracker crumbs in a medium bowl.
- Season with lemon pepper.
- Make 8 patties. With the remaining crumbs, coat the patties and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Make sure to turn the patties once or until golden brown on both sides.
Halibut Fillet with Herb Butter
Salmon and halibut recipes don’t get easier than this.
You will need:
- Halibut fillet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of your preferred herb (we like parsley, tarragon, or dill)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Make a little aluminum foil tray to fit the fillet.
- Use olive oil to wipe the bottom of the tray.
- Place the fillet on the tray.
- Make herb butter by thoroughly mixing the chopped herbs with the butter.
- Put a tablespoon of herb butter on the halibut.
- Broil for 4 minutes on each side, making sure you don’t spill any of the melted herb butter.
- Remove and plate, pouring the melted sauce over the fillet.
Salmon or Halibut Tacos
If your kids are picky eaters, you can make this for them.
We’ve yet to meet anyone – young and old – who didn’t love these tacos.
For the salsa, you need:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- 1 large jalapeno
- Juice of one lime
- In a blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the taco filling, prepare:
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- Salmon or halibut strips
- Cajun spice
- Olive oil
- Shredded cheese
- Black beans
- Soft taco shells
- If you don’t like using a grater to shred cabbage, you can do this instead.
- Shave off the outside 1/4 inch of the fish to get rid of any fishy taste.
- Slice the salmon or halibut into thin strips.
- Coat the strips with Cajun spice.
- Fry the strips in a pan until crispy.
- Put the fish, cabbage, shredded cheese, black beans, avocado, and salsa on your favorite soft taco shell.
- Give the whole thing a squeeze of lemon if you like it a bit tangy.
How about you? Do you have salmon and halibut recipes to share?
Let us know in the comments section and don’t forget to check out our other posts.